Repairing a deck? Do it yourself!
By Julio Fernández Agüero, Centro de Pinturas Costa Ballena
Today I want to tell you that repairing a wooden deck that has been exposed to the elements is easier than it seems if we take the correct route when carrying out the project.
“The first thing we should know is that in any painting system, 80% of success depends on surface preparation, equally important is the other 20% that corresponds to choosing the right products and their application.”
Knowing this, we must proceed to sand the wood of the deck, remove all the damaged material, also remove all the wood damaged by the sun and moisture. For this, we must use a vibration or orbital sander. We choose these sanders because they don’t polish wood like band sanders or other sanders that work at high revs. The grain of the sandpaper can vary from 36 to 60 to remove damaged material and wood. Later we sand with grain 80 to 100 to fi nish preparing the wood of the deck to receive the finish.
For the choice of products we must take into account at least four factors:
1-Wood species and its characteristics.
2-Type of the environment to which the wood is subjected (moderate, medium or severe)
3-Incidence of Sun.
4-Type of weather.
Now, here in the Costa Ballena area, we work hard and dense woods, the environment is severe, the sun has a strong impact, and the climate is subtropical and tropical humid forest. Taking these factors into account, we recommend the application of a wood preservation product that will protect against fungal, algae, and insect damage.
Then for the fi nish, we can use a varnish type product for brush application, with UV fi lters and preferably formulated with polyurethane resin. We apply four complete coats with a time of 6 hours between coats. After the last application, we wait 36 hours to dry and ready we have our deck as new.
What to do, Where to eat and Where to stay…
South Pacific Costa Rica Beaches
Looking for business directories, maps or other printouts? We’ve got that too!
Dare to Discover and Enjoy…
Need help planning your next trip to Costa Rica? We look forward to help you!
Ballena Tales is an essential guide and digital comprehensive magazine for travelers, residents, and investors covering Costa Ballena in the Canton of Osa in the South Pacific region of Costa Rica. It is a fully bilingual, bi-monthly, and full-color digital magazine.
The magazine introduces the reader to the life of the local community, with interviews of pioneers, writers, and artists, as well as extensive information on restaurants, hotels, experiences, natural attractions, and wildlife of the South Pacific of Costa Rica.
Tips for protecting your home: , Gutters must be cleaned. Make sure your landscaper is doing that during every visit (minimum twice per month), especially during the rainy season. Water mitigation starts with landscaping. Take care when changing the landscaping of a property – especially if you want to change slopes/grades. Don’t plant trees too close to your home. If they are already planted, make sure the limbs are cut back to decrease the probability of debris falling onto the roof.
Install “alcantarillas” (concrete tubes typically used under roads and driveways) to help the water keep moving.
Study where your downspouts/rain chains end. Do they go onto the ground? Ideally, a concrete catch box will be connected to buried plastic pipes guiding the water into a more extensive water system.
Plant appropriate plants and trees in the proper locations.
Keep all drainage clean of debris. Have your landscaper/property manager check them.
Costa Rican Banknotes are so beautiful – the 20.000 Colones Bill Autor: J.S.P. The 20,000 colones orange Costa Rican banknote was the first paper money to be remade in 2021 with a plastic substrate to […]
El Mercado- The Importance of local markets Author: Nathalia Saray In a planet with so many wonderful and prosperous corners, community organizations’ initiatives must take on the task of opening spaces where local society is […]
Costa Rican Banknotes are so beautiful – the 10.000 Colones Bill Autor: J.S.P. The Costa Rican money journey continues with the green 10,000 banknotes! The rainforest theme shown is just one of the twelve Climatic […]
The delicious Pancito Café in Ojochal Author: Dagmar Reinhard Philippe and Mireille, owners of Pancito Cafe, are well known in Ojochal. Early in the morning, delicious aromas emanate from the place, the smell of fresh […]
Costa Rican Banknotes are Beautiful Autor: J.S.P. Behold the 5,000 colones! Moving forward with our series of the beautiful money of Costa Rica, the 5,000 bill shows the theme of the red Mangrove. We start […]